Common Medical Issues for Canines in the Scotts Valley Area
Whether snuggling up to you on a cold winter’s morning or walking by your side for an evening stroll, your dog is a valuable part of your life. Though your pet can tell you many things, they can’t share important medical issues. Mt. Hermon Veterinary Clinic in Scotts Valley provides dog medical care for common illnesses.
- Ear infections afflict many animals. These may be caused by mites, yeast, bacteria or allergies. Symptoms include a strange odor, vigorous scratching, redness or swelling, or an ugly discharge. The doctor will provide medication or surgery as a treatment.
- Parasites such as hookworm, tapeworm, roundworm and whipworm affect dogs internally. An infestation will make your pet uncomfortable at the least, but can be fatal to a puppy. Symptoms of this illness include changes in appetite, diarrhea and weight loss. The veterinarian can provide an oral treatment and follow-up care.
- A solitary flea can lead to thousands within a very short time. You can recognize an infestation by excessive scratching, hair loss, and the appearance of tapeworms, flea dirt and hot spots. Left untreated, this annoying and uncomfortable problem could lead to canine anemia. Your vet may prescribe an oral medicine or special shampoo.
- Diarrhea may affect animals as a result of stress, parasites, infections and food allergies. The symptoms are pretty much the same as they are for humans with the same problem. Provide your loyal friend with plenty of clean water and a visit to the veterinarian. The doctor will work to identify the cause and determine appropriate medical care.
- Vomiting also has many causes. You may also notice your dog heaving or drooling. When these symptoms appear, it is best to call the vet right away. This could lead to life-threatening dehydration.
Our Vets Treat Common Pet Ailments in the Santa Cruz and Soquel Areas
Mt. Hermon offers compassionate dog vet care for many ailments. We serve the Scotts Valley, Santa Cruz and Soquel communities. Call today for an appointment for cat medical care. Our number is 831-438-0803.
Also serving all of the greater San Lorenzo Valley, including, Felton, Mt Hermon, Ben Lomond, Boulder Creek and Graham Hill Road area.